What you will need
Use size 3.25 (10) up to 3.75 (9)
- Colour 1 for feet and head (use a light colour so face stands out)
- Colour 2 for pants
- Colour 3 for jumper
- Colour 4 for face (black or dark colour)
- Teddies should be filled with polyester monofilament. This can be bought from Spotlight.
1. Feet and pants
- Cast on 8 stitches in colour 1 and knit 8 rows to make a foot.
- Change to colour 2 for pants and knit 14 rows to make a pant leg.
- Keep the original foot and pant leg on your needles and, knit a second foot and pant leg on the same needle to match the first. See image below.
- You should now have 2 seperate legs on one needle.
- Knit across both pant legs for another 10 rows.
- Change to colour 3 for jumper and knit 10 rows.
- Cast on 8 stitches at the beginning of the next 2 rows to start sleeves.
- Knit 10 more rows for sleeves.
- Cast off 8 stitches at the beginning of the next 2 rows.
- There should be 16 stitches left on your needles.
- Change to colour 1 and knit 20 rows for head and cast off.
4. Knit another side to match
5. Sewing up
*Do not use pins as they are dangerous if left in the bear.
- Use the leftover yarn to neatly sew the two sides together using small running or slip stitch.
- Starting at the top of one side of the head, sew down one side of the bear leaving the top of the head open for filling.
- Teddies should be filled with polyester monofilament.
- Once filled, use slip stitches to close the head.
- Using colour 1, gather the neck where the head joins the jumper and sew a small running stitch. (Make the stitch small so fingers can not get caught in the stitch).
- Using the yarn at the top of the head, stitch down the head 8 rows then, sew small running stitches diagonally up to the top of the head.
- Pull the yarn slightly to make the ear rounded and secure yarn to finish off. See diagram below.
- Embroider a happy face on your bear with colour 4, making sure stitches are no longer than 2 stitches wide so small fingers can not be caught in the stitch.
- Never use buttons or other plastic materials to make eyes or noses as they are a choking hazard.